Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Rick Warren caught lying

Last Sunday, Rick Warren recorded a video for his congregation in which he denies ever comparing gay marriages to incest or pedophilia:
I have been accused of equating gay partnerships with incest and pedophila. Now, of course as members of Saddleback Church, you know I believe no such thing, I never have. You've never once heard me in thirty years talk that way about that.
But Rachel Maddow shows that he made exactly that comparison:
I'm opposed to having a brother and sister be together and call that marriage. I'm opposed to an older guy marrying a child and calling that a marriage. I'm opposed to one guy having multiple wives and calling that marriage.

Q. Do you think those are equivalent to gays getting married?

Oh, I do!
Rick Warren has been caught lying, in addition to being anti-gay and anti-evolution. He should ask to be taken off the agenda for the inauguration, and if he doesn't, Barack Obama should just withdraw his invitation to speak.

4 comments:

Eamon Knight said...

I'm opposed to one guy having multiple wives and calling that marriage.

I'm still waiting for an explanation of why "Dick" Warren is so opposed to the Biblical model of marriage. If it was good enough for the OT patriarchs, it should be good enough for him!

normdoering said...

Eamon Knight wrote:
"I'm still waiting for an explanation of why "Dick" Warren is so opposed to the Biblical model of marriage. If it was good enough for the OT patriarchs, it should be good enough for him!"

Was that a rhetorical question?

I think the answer has a lot to do with fear of change and culture shock, and it has little to do with the Bible. Marriage, one man to one woman, is the culture he knows and change scares him.

My own take on Rick Warren.

Eamon Knight said...

Was that a rhetorical question?

If course. It's an ironic comment on the historical ignorance implied by Warren's claims about marriage -- when even the one "history" book I'm absolutely sure he's read (and trusts) contradicts him!

Eamon Knight said...

Um..."Of course..."

I blame a combination of the digital tendonitis and the Riesling....