Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How delusional is John Hinderaker?

John Hinderaker of the Powerline blog writes:
Obama thinks he is a good talker, but he is often undisciplined when he speaks. He needs to understand that as President, his words will be scrutinized and will have impact whether he intends it or not. In this regard, President Bush is an excellent model; Obama should take a lesson from his example. Bush never gets sloppy when he is speaking publicly. He chooses his words with care and precision, which is why his style sometimes seems halting. In the eight years he has been President, it is remarkable how few gaffes or verbal blunders he has committed. If Obama doesn’t raise his standards, he will exceed Bush’s total before he is inaugurated.
I find it difficult to imagine the amount of delusion and cognitive dissonance that can produce such a paragraph. George W. Bush is the man whose spoken words have produced multiple books of "Bushisms," and multiple years of "Bushism" calendars with a quotation for every day of the year.

The Sadly No blog responded to this paragraph with a series of YouTube videos vividly depicting Bush gaffes. I prefer this Andy Dick contribution:

3 comments:

Hume's Ghost said...

I saw that and was going to post something along the lines of "this is your brain on Bush worship" but I thought, otherwise, hoping that when Bush leaves office the (in my opinion) horrendous Powerline blog will be rendered irrelevant.

How persons such as Hinderaker can make such statements and maintain credibility with their audience is beyond me ... I'm still trying to figure out how someone can listen to Rush Limbaugh say that carrots are deadlier than second hand cigarette smoke (as I did once when randomly turning the program on) and think that sounds about right.

Hume's Ghost said...

I do not know why I put commas around 'otherwise'.

normdoering said...

Hume's Ghost asked: "How persons such as Hinderaker can make such statements and maintain credibility with their audience is beyond me ..."

I think that right wing punditry, reading it or writing it, causes brain damage.