Tuesday, June 12, 2007

ONDCP "Drowning" ad

I just came across an old post of mine on the Internet Infidels' Discussion Boards:
February 22, 2004, 05:24 PM
I keep seeing this TV commercial from the Office of National Drug Control Policy. The commercial shows a girl standing on a dock on a lake, with a life preserver sitting on it, and another drowning in the water as she looks on. The voiceover says something like "If you had a friend who was drowning, you'd help, wouldn't you?"

Every time I see it I think it's going to be an argument for the nonexistence of God.
The ad is online, though it doesn't seem to be one of the ones the ONDCP put on YouTube, with subsequent ridicule.

The ONDCP ad campaign has been studied by the GAO and found to be ineffective, but the government continues to spend over one hundred million dollars per year on it.

1 comment:

Einzige said...

That ad is ripe for modification in just the way you're imagining.

I wish I had the necessary software.