Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Message from God billboards

Back in 1999, a bunch of billboards popped up around Phoenix that had white letters on a black background and were signed by God. One I took a bad photo of said "You think it's hot here? --God." They're back. There's now one near Kat's workplace that says "Life is short. Eternity isn't. --God." These come from a group that calls itself GodSpeaks, which doesn't actually pay for or put up the billboards, they just help interested groups in doing it locally.

I'd like to see someone make one of those sign generators for these billboards, so I can make some parodies, which these are just asking for. These billboards aren't as lighthearted as some of the church marquee signs (like this one, for example, which suggests a God who has mellowed considerably from the one who sent the plagues of the Exodus).

Here are some ideas for better content:

Stop putting words in my mouth. --God

If I existed, I'd communicate directly to all people in their own languages in a miraculous manner rather than through billboards put up by people pretending to be me, just as parents pretend to be Santa Claus. -- God

Please post further suggestions in the comments. (And if somebody writes or finds a billboard photo generator, please let me know.)

8 comments:

olvlzl said...

OK, so prove to me that Jim Lippard Exists. God

You could substitute "natural selection" for Jim Lippard but your the one who made it personal. God

Prove olvlzl exists. G.

Einzige said...

Prove olvlzl exists.

Why?

spyder said...

This is a couple of years old, but it represents some of the thematic elements. I never stop laughing over the Tennessee Titans ad.

olvlzl said...

Prove olvlzl exists.

Why?

To frustrate einzige. God.

Michael Norton said...

"This is a sign" - God

God gets self-ref humor.

Caliban said...

"This would make more sense in Aramaic." -- God

Nat said...

"You know I'm just a metaphor, right?"

- God.

Lord DoomRater said...

As a Christian myself I stand absolutely behind the "Stop putting words in my mouth" one. Doing so is a direct violation of the Third Commandment, after all, and it's absolutely hilarious how people seem to think it's an anti-cursing commandment and not something against putting words in God's mouth...!