Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Books Read in 2007

As another year comes to a close, I've again put together a list of the books I've managed to read this year. Once again, there are many that I've not finished, some of which were started but left uncompleted in 2005 or 2006, but I'm not going to bother listing those this year. While in previous years I've reviewed almost every book I read on Amazon.com, this year I've hardly done so at all, and my Amazon.com reviewer rank has dropped accordingly--I had hopes at one time of cracking the top 2000 (and got up to 2,171), but that won't happen if I don't write some more reviews. I'm disappointed with how few books I've read this year--this is the first time I can recall purchasing more new books than I've finished reading, so I plan to use my vacation days (the rest of the year) to see if I can finish a few more.
(Previously: 20062005.)

8 comments:

Danny Boy, FCD said...

I know how you feel. Despite reading ten books in the last two months, my overall number of books read is fewer than the last couple of years. And given my sometimes impulsive buying spree (both online and off) I have over two dozen unread books bought just this year.

BTW, in your list, I haven't read any of those except the last one by Carl Zimmer, which is awesome and should be required reading for anyone doubting Evolution (deniers won't be convinced, though).

Lippard said...

I've only read one of yours, and it's on the same subject (Gould's The Panda's Thumb).

I've got another Zimmer book ready to start reading, Soul Made Flesh.

Einzige said...

In line with Kurt Goedel, I noticed that Douglas Hofstadter has a new book out--"I am a Srange Loop". It looks like a fun read.

Lippard said...

That one's on my wish list, but not yet purchased.

Danny Boy, FCD said...

I've read Soul Made Flesh too. Carl Zimmer is a genius in science writing. I wish some other science writers I read are half as good. :p

Hume's Ghost said...

Hm. I'm not even sure what books I've read this year ... I never thought to keep track (although it would probably be a good idea to start since I pick a book of the year every year ...).

Einzige said...

I'm leaning toward spam, Jim.

However, the fact that I'm not sure is a tribute to the spammer.

Lippard said...

Yeah, I think spam... it's gone.