Sunday, November 08, 2009

Philosophy Bites podcast

I've been listening to past episodes of the Philosophy Bites podcast, and I highly recommend it--they are short (about 15 minute) discussions with prominent philosophers about specific philosophical topics and questions. I've found them to be consistently of high quality and interesting, even in the one case where I think the philosophical argument was complete nonsense (Robert Rowland Smith on Derrida on forgiveness). Even there, the interviewers asked the right questions.

I particularly have enjoyed listening to topics that are outside the areas of philosophy I've studied, like Alain de Botton on the aesthetics of architecture. Other particularly good ones have been Hugh Mellor on time, David Papineau on physicalism, A.C. Grayling on Descartes' Meditations, and Peter Millican on the significance of Hume. I've still got a bunch more past episodes to listen to; I'm going to be somewhat disappointed when I catch up.

1 comment:

Hume's Ghost said...

"A.C. Grayling on Descartes' Meditations"

His biography of Descartes is fascinating as well.

I've subscribed to Philosophy Bites now for about a year or so ... I love it. I also enjoyed the sister podcast, Ethics Bites. Unfortunately, they stopped producing new episodes a year ago. (The archive is still available.)