Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Ashley Smith shared meth with captor

It's now come out (via her book) that Ashley Smith, who was taken hostage by Brian Nichols after his shooting at an Atlanta courthouse, shared her crystal meth stash with her captor in addition to sharing with him about Rick Warren's Purpose-Driven Life. She says in her new book that she stopped using drugs the night before she was taken hostage, and that it was her hostage experience that persuaded her that she was a drug addict.

1 comment:

Einzige said...

Here's the whackiest part of that story, to me:

...[S]he asked Nichols if he wanted to see the danger of drugs and lifted up her tank top several inches to reveal a five-inch scar down the center of her torso — the aftermath of a car wreck caused by drug-induced psychosis. She says she let go of the steering wheel when she heard a voice saying, "Let go and let God."

Seems less like "the danger of drugs" and more like "the danger of belief in (a benevolent) deity", IMHO.

If I heard a voice tell me "let go and let God", followed shortly thereafter by a serious car wreck, I doubt I'd conclude that God had my best interests at heart.